Registration Now Opens!
Friday, October 11, 2019
Marathon Oil Tower, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056
The Future of Energy: the Trend, the Impacts, and the Adaptation
Dear CAPA Members and Friends,
Chinese American Petroleum Association (CAPA) sincerely invites you to attend the 2019 Annual Conference, which will be held on October 11, 2019. This year the conference will focus on the theme “The Future of Energy: the Trend, the Impact, and the Adaptation”. Southwest Section of the Chinese American Chemical Society (SW-CACS) will co-organize the Downstream session with CAPA. The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) will sponsor the student paper contest.
The symposium venue is the Marathon Conference Center, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056.
The oil and gas industry is facing challenges and opportunities as the global energy market evolves. The industry needs to meet rising energy demand while at the same time to reduce carbon emissions. With steady and increasing supply of alternative energy such as biofuels, solar, geothermal, and wind power, the traditional industry focusing on conventional and unconventional resources has been experiencing the impacts. Digital transformation, thanks to machine learning and artificial intelligence, also has been contributing to more efficient processes and new business strategies. As a result, how the industry adapts or reforms itself to embrace alternative energy and new technology has become a major issue. This changing energy landscape also provides great opportunities for individuals with an open-mind and positive altitude and appropriate skill sets to thrive in the new era.
· Conference Program
(1) Keynote Speeches (Morning), featuring five keynote speakers from the leaders of the industry and academia:
- Santhosh Shankar, Long Range Research Platform Scientist, Shell: Solar fuel program
- Ahmad Farooqi, Senior Principal, Accenture: Digital transformation
- Hon Chung Lau, Professor, National University of Singapore: Skill development
- Ryan Apps, Practice Director, GHD Digital: Mega trends in oil & gas
- Tecle Rufaal, Principal Scientist and GHG Program Manager, Chevron: Carbon capture and storage
- Sponsor presentations
(2) Continued Keynote Speeches and Parallel Technical Sessions (Afternoon)
- Green Energy
- Ahmad Haidari, Global Industry Director, ANSYS, Inc.: Global energy transition
- Vance Nobe, CEO, Akari Energy: Renewable energy
- Mitch Shih, America Greenland Environmental Co.: Geothermal power
- Eric Chang, MTC Engineering, Inc.: Wind power
- Liang Jin, BrightGold Consulting LLC: CO2 fracturing
- Jerome Zhang, Baker Hughes: Formation characterization using neutron correction
- Mu Liu, Independent Consultant: Guyana oil discovery
- Xu Huang, Peng Yuan, and Hao Zhang, Baker Hughes: Proppant erosion modeling
- John Geng, Oxy: Senior management worry index
- Downstream (jointly with CACS)
- Qi Zhang, GHD Digital: Ozone nonattainment area
- Skill Development Panel Discussion
- Sunny Zhang, President, Z LAB Global
- Alec Walker, CEO, DelfinSia
- Tai Shih, former CAPA President
- Mei Hamilton, Consultant, Mei Hamilton Coaching LLC
- Student Paper Contest
- All student papers will be oral presentations in English. Awards will be given at the end of the session ($500 – 1st place; $300 – 2nd place; $200 – 3rd place). The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) will sponsor student paper contest this year.
(3) Abstracts Submission
Online registration is available at CAPA website (http://capaus.org/event-3517031). Online registration for Members: $40, Member between Jobs: $30, Non-member: $50, and Students: $15; Additional $10 for walk-in registration. Please register at your earlies convenience. Registration fee is waived for the sponsors, invited speakers. session presenters, and student paper judges.
Due to limited budget, we won’t be able to validate all parking tickets this year. Only invited speakers, presenters, and sponsors will receive parking validations. If you are students and come in through carpool, please visit us at the registration desk, we may offer some validations.
Last but not the least, many thanks to our program committee, who have worked very hard to put together a great program. We are very excited and look forward to seeing you to this conference.
Dr. Po Ching Tai Dr. Long Ma
CAPA President, 2019 CAPA BOD Chairman, 2019
CAPA 2019 Technical Symposium Committee:
Po Tai (Conference Chair), Xinli Jia (Co-Chair), Kuochen Tsai, Mei Yang, Kim Shih, Jiasheng Qin, Meisong Yan, Haitao Ren, Yan Dong, Yaping Zhu, Qi Zhang, Jianxiong Chen, and Tracy Pan.