Registration Now Opens!
Friday, October 11, 2019
Marathon Oil Tower, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056
The Future of Energy: the Trend, the Impacts, and the Adaptation
Dear CAPA Members and Friends,
Chinese American Petroleum Association (CAPA) sincerely invites you to attend the 2019 Annual Conference, which will be held on October 11, 2019. This year the conference will focus on the theme “The Future of Energy: the Trend, the Impact, and the Adaptation”. Southwest Section of the Chinese American Chemical Society (SW-CACS) will co-organize the Downstream session with CAPA. The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) will sponsor the student paper contest.
The symposium venue is the Marathon Conference Center, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056, courtesy of the continuing and generous support from Marathon Oil Corporation.
The oil and gas industry is facing challenges and opportunities as the global energy market evolves. The industry needs to meet rising energy demand while at the same time to reduce carbon emissions. With steady and increasing supply of alternative energy such as biofuels, solar, geothermal, and wind power, the traditional industry focusing on conventional and unconventional resources has been experiencing the impacts. Digital transformation, thanks to machine learning and artificial intelligence, also has been contributing to more efficient processes and new business strategies. As a result, how the industry adapts or reforms itself to embrace alternative energy and new technology has become a major issue. This changing energy landscape also provides great opportunities for individuals with an open-mind and positive altitude, and appropriate skill sets to thrive in the new era.
• Conference Program
(1) Keynote Speeches (Morning), featuring five keynote speakers from the leaders of the industry and academia:
- Santhosh Shankar, Long Range Research Platform Scientist, Shell, Solar fuel program
- Ahmad Farooqi, Senior Principal, Accenture, Digital transformation
- Hon Chung Lau, Professor, National University of Singapore, E&P career development
- Ryan Apps, Practice Director, GHD Digital, Mega trends in oil & gas
- Tecle Rufael, Principal Scientist and GHG Program Manager, Chevron, Carbon capture and storage
(2) Continued Keynote Speeches and Parallel Technical Sessions (Afternoon)
- Ahmad Haidari, Global Industry Director, ANSYS, Inc., Global energy transition (keynote)
- Vance Nobe, CEO, Akari Energy, Solar power (keynote)
- Ming-Chih Shih, Sin-Tian Ciou, and Ying-Jen Chou, America Greenland Environmental Co., Geothermal electric power
- Eric Chang, MTC Engineering, Inc., Offshore wind development
- Tylor Nokleby, Lisa Meng, Jaden Wu, and Markus Isaacson, Awty International High School, Powering offshore platforms with wave energy (best digital award at 2019 OTC Energy Challenge)
- Liang Jin, BrightGold Consulting LLC, Liquid CO2 fracturing
- Jerome Zhang, Baker Hughes, Formation characterization using neutron correction
- Mu Liu, Independent consultant, Guyana oil discovery
- Xu Huang, Peng Yuan, and Hao Zhang, Baker Hughes, Proppant erosion modeling
- John Geng, Oxy, Senior management worry index
- Cheng Zhen, Sathish Sankaran, Vincent LeMoine, Jeremy Graybill, and Didi-Ooi Sher Mey, Anadarko Petroleum, Machine learning for unconventional production forecasting
- Leizheng Wang and Wei Yu, University of Texas at Austin, Lean gas huff and puff process in Eagle Ford Shale
- Chuen-Song Chen, Yu Zeng, and Shengyuan Zhang, Data science consultants, Seismic image interpretation using deep Learning convolutional neutral networks
- Downstream (jointly with CACS)
- Sophie Jia, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company, WEEL Committee and OEL setting process
- Zhe Sun and Vemuri Balakotaiah, University of Texas at Austin, Autothermal operation of catalytic oxidative coupling of methane in packed-bed reactors
- Qiang Xu, Lamar University, Multi-scale Dynamic Simulation and Optimization for Industrial Emission Control
- Qi Zhang, GHD, Ozone nonattainment area
- Skill Development Panel Discussion
- Sunny Zhang, President, Z LAB Global
- Alec Walker, CEO, DelfinSia
- Dr. Tai-Chang Shih, former CAPA President
- Mei Hamilton, Consultant, Mei Hamilton Coaching LLC
- Xiaona Cui, Texas A&M University, Effects of confinement on compositional simulation in shale reservoirs
- Ying-Hua Fu, Texas A&M University, Functional alkane solvent systems
- Xiao Li, University of Houston, Kinetic Monte Carlo study of biomass conversion over Titania supported Ruthenium catalyst
- Yi-An Lin, University of Houston, SE Asia plate tectonics and mantle flow
- Xingchun Wang, Lamar University, Boil-off gas generation inside LNG road tankers under heat leakage and vibration effects
- Jeremy Tsung-Jui Wu, University of Houston, Izanagi-Pacific ridge subduction along the NE Asian margin
- Li Yu, Lamar University, A new MILP model for scheduling of a multi-product pipeline distribution system
- Zhuqing Zhang, Rice University, Evaluating the stability of model asphaltene-stabilized water-in-oil emulsions in microfluidic devices
- All student papers will be oral presentations in English. Awards will be given at the end of the session. The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) will sponsor student paper contest this year.
Online registration is available at CAPA website (http://capaus.org/event-3517031). Online registration for Members: $40, Member between Jobs: $30, Non-member: $50, and Students: $15; Additional $10 for walk-in registration. Please register at your earlies convenience. Registration fee is waived for sponsors, invited speakers. session presenters, and student paper judges.
Arrival and parking information are provided at the end of this announcement. Due to limited budget, we won’t be able to validate all parking tickets this year. Only invited speakers, presenters, sponsors, session chairs, and judges will receive parking validations. Participants who register before 10/4 will receive parking validations as well. If you are students and come in through carpool, please visit us at the registration desk, we may offer some validations.
Arrival and Parking Instruction: Link
Last but not the least, many thanks to our program committee, who have worked very hard to put together a great program. We are very excited and look forward to seeing you at the conference.
Dr. Po Ching Tai Dr. Long Ma
CAPA President, 2019 CAPA BOD Chairman, 2019
CAPA 2019 Technical Symposium Committee:
Po Tai (Conference Chair), Xinli Jia (Co-Chair), Kuochen Tsai, Mei Yang, Kim Shih, Jiasheng Qin, Meisong Yan, Haitao Ren, Yan Dong, Yaping Zhu, Qi Zhang, and Jianxiong Chen